claiming professional expenses in Canada

by Michael Werneburg
on 2017.02.24

You are here:
Risk topics
» Risk topics blog
April, 2018

March, 2018
· the planning fallacy

February, 2018
· Valentine's day vm backup plan

November, 2017
· the unsafe workplace and the body's response

October, 2017
· ISACA article is live

September, 2017
· published
· the Equifax breach
· Tracking Vulnerability Fixes to Production

August, 2017
· evaluating third party cyber risk

July, 2017
· getting it wrong with R
· de-identifying health information
· that's a lot of tracking!

June, 2017
· gaming Google news
· privacy in this day and age
· another record breach
· writing an industry standard
· ISACA article accepted

May, 2017
· Covey time-management quadrants
· safe harbor de-identification of health data
· an ISACA article

April, 2017
· my guide on managing third party risk
· PMP for five years
· metrics that matter
· 720 reads in 48 hours
· I lost my job

March, 2017
· farewell, SIRA board
· the message and the medium
· an interesting take on consulting


In Canada, anyone on the treadmill of maintaining professional designations gets a couple of tax incentives.

You can claim your professional association annual dues under "Annual Union, Professional or Like Dues", as long as your jurisdiction recognizes your profession.

And you might be able to claim any costs for seminars, webinars, etc NOT reimbursed by your employer, in "T777: Statement of Employment Expenses" under "Other expenses". But – and it's a big one – your employer must require that you maintain the designation in the contract, and that you &your employer have filled in a T2200.

big list